Evaluation - Advert

1. How does your product use or challenge conventions and how does it represent social groups or issues? 

I chose POCARI SWEAT as the product that I worked on, and it is known for being coded as a refreshing, healthy drink. Represented from the costumes of the mise-en-scene of most of their adverts, its target audience are high-school students, which is a big population on the world that are encouraging teens to reach their wild goals. This product challenges the stereotype of how high-schoolers tend to be lazy or carefree in this stage of their life, that they wouldn't put full effort in catching great achievements by giving them motivation not only by consuming their product, but to also be inspired from life and maintaining a healthy balance in it. This idea is connotated by the isotonic drink that are told to be a reason to stay fresh.

In my final draft, I challenged the typical representation of the audience by making the aim of the character to catch the burning startheir dreams—that appears to be deserting away. The character sweats off, implying fatigue from running to the star, meaning there should be energy put into reaching your goals. As the character grabbed it, it turned into the product and to later be consumed to refresh their energy.

2. How does your product engage with audiences and how would it be distributed as a real media text? 

In the advert analysed, this product engages with audiences by representing the specific audiences high-schoolers who likes anime in the media. My ad will be most likely shown in animation TV channels, as anime is included in the category, and because students usually watches animated content.

3. How did your production skills develop throughout this project?

Throughout this project, I got to develop my planning skills of planning a narrative in a storyboard. Instead of drawing several scenes for an action (which I see a lot of my classmates do), I can just simplify it into one scene while knowing how to include the pictures, thus my limited amount of scenes.

I made some changes of ideas in compositing the camera shot in scene 1. I planned to add an additional translucent shot overlaying on top of the existing shot as I have trouble in putting it in words. The more I thought about it, the more I think it is a meaningless editing, so I scrapped it out.

4. How did you integrate technologies – software, hardware and online – in this project? 

The technology integrated in this project are the software Adobe Lightroom and Ibis Paint X. I used it to scan and edit the pictures to be more digitally readable. It helped me save time as I do not have to redraw it digitally, which wastes more time. Not only that but it also allows me to develop more of my skills in understanding where I am at in my editing skills.

Comments